Slider

Cornerstone Christian School

Cornerstone Christian School began in 1986 when the Lord put the vision for the School in the hearts of a few families that were instrumental in establishing Cornerstone. Charles and Kathy Anderson, Herb and Marilyn Pennington, Jan and Ann Privitt, and Jim and Terry Mapes were indispensably part of God's plan to give San Angelo, Texas and the surrounding area a Christ-centered school that strongly pursues excellence in spiritual development, academics and physical development of all students. Cornerstone Christian School

The property at 1502 North Jefferson Street (current location of Cornerstone) belonged to Riverside Baptist Church and became available in the spring of 1986. In early 1987, Wilbur and Mary Anderson purchased the building and property with intent of leasing it to Cornerstone for $1.00 per year. In 1994, a certificate gift deed was granted to Cornerstone Christian School with the understanding it would continue to function as a Christian educational facility.

Charles Anderson was the first School Board President with Mr. Jay Privitt serving as the first Cornerstone Administrator. There were 35-students enrolled in Cornerstone when it first opened in 1986. The School was accredited in 1999 by the Texas Alliance of Accredited Private Schools (TAAPS) for elementary grades through the fifth grade. In 1993 ground was broke to construct a new gymnasium for student physical education, athletic activities and general school assemblies. The first basketball tournament at Cornerstone was held in 1996.

In 2004 the beautiful cafeteria, used extensively today at Cornerstone, was constructed. Dr. Cleve Kirkland, a faithful parent and visionary, was instrumental in making this occur; hence the building is dedicated in his honor. Dr. Kirkland was also instrumental in the School building three tennis courts in 2004. In early 2009, Cornerstone broke ground on a large building project which included an elementary school, a gymnasium addition, an enlarged parking lot, and updates to the existing educational facilities. In the fall of 2010 the elementary campus was opened for children in Kindergarten 4 through fifth grade. All of these wonderful expansions and advances of the Cornerstone educational ministry were made possible by a group of donors who were compelled to very generously give to the School and those who have contributed to Cornerstone through the Capital Campaign of 2009 to 2011. God has blessed Cornerstone Christian School in many incredible ways.

The people that God has placed at Cornerstone Christian School through the years of its existence have worked diligently to preeminently lift up Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord in this platform of education to all touched by the School. This is Cornerstone's singularly distinctive contribution to the Lord's work and His kingdom. Cornerstone Christian School gives all the glory and honor to Him as we celebrate our past and look to our future with great anticipation.

School Website: 
Address: 
1502 N. Jefferson Street
San Angelo, TX 76901